Sunday 18 January 2015

To be breastfeed or not to breastfeed in public

About a week or two ago social media was a buzz with a no breastfeeding sign that was put up in a Family Restaurant which led me to think about this topic extensively.

I am a mother of two kids and I have no problem with it, but , I,  normally cover up,  not because I care about what others' think but because I know if someone,anyone were to say anything derogatory I would open a can of whip ass lol.

So I posted the question on a forum that I am a part of and got a huge response. It's a women only forum and I was surprised at the responses and how many people were anti breastfeeding in public(with no covering).

People have different views and opinions when it comes to this and many are passionate about it as well(including myself),I am still breastfeeding my son and since this article I have decided that never mind what the topic or circumstance if you feel comfortable doing something and it doesn't harm the next person DO IT!

So this is just my views on the topic and if you disagree,that's good because if we all thought and acted the same the world would be a really boring place.

The most common complaint is the fact that your breast is sticking out and it is unbecoming, when this is actually not even the case when a baby latches on in the correct manner the whole nipple should be covered,which exposes less breast than your normal low cut top/bikini top(which is basically a bra) so for me that in itself voids that. Many children are so used to being breast fed in their homes and not being covered that when they are out in public the do not want to be covered which results in to things;

1.The child kicks and screams as the are hungry and need to feed(which society also has a problem with)
2.The child can't get a proper meal because the mother is considering other people and not the child(and some people even take it so far as to say that the mother is disrespectful and inconsiderate ,really?)

The main purpose of breastfeeding is to FEED a hungry child, many donate R2 for the hungry children when  purchasing KFC but don't want to see a mother feed her child,inconsiderate and disrespectful don't you think?

The sight of a mother breastfeeding her child will be less offensive if we could all just take our minds out of the gutters and start seeing it for what it really is,a mother feeding her child. Yes your little boy is going to ask you questions and it will be your responsibility to answer said little boy honestly, and with the intention to educate him,so we can have a future where a mother can feed her child without a care in the world.

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and we need to respect that!

So next time you see a mum breastfeeding her baby,salute her and let her know you are proud of her.

peace and love
CoCo

2 comments:

  1. Ah I have so many times wanted to breastfeed in public, but I just can't do it :) I do feel though that if it is done the correct way there should be no reason not to breastfeed in public

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the correct way though?Something that could be correct to me might not be correct to you,like I said,each to its own,everyone should just respect each other enough to just leave the next one alone?what do you say?

      Delete